We are 5 days in to No Gain November! It’s not too late to start now, either. Let these healthy habits to help during the holidays :)
So I originally had a blog post planned for yesterday. It was going to be about how a friend and I volunteered at the local Food Bank on Saturday. Except you will never believe what happened….THEY TURNED US AWAY. Can you imagine a volunteer-run organization actually rejecting willing and able college students trying to do some community service? I couldn’t.
On one hand we were disappointed that our Saturday plans had been changed. On the other, how amazing is it that there was such an abundance of people volunteering their time that the organizations’ needs were fulfilled! Obviously Thanksgiving is a common time for community service in food banks and soup kitchens, a time when we are reminded that the less fortunate need these services the other eleven months of the year too.
I created Strong Like My Coffee over three months ago. It’s amazing the places that this blog has reached (seriously, countries I had never heard of. How amazing!) and I’m excited to keep growing and posting. Now with over 80 posts, it’s kind of fun to look at some of my favorite and forgotten posts.
Please make these! They were one of the top 10 dinners I have EVER made.
These healthy cookies were one of my most popular recipes, and understandably so. I can’t wait to make these again!
This was mainly just a fun experiment! I had no idea what to expect when I poured these ingredients in a saucepan, but hoped for the best and it worked out pretty tastefully :) Anything with pumpkin spice already earns bonus points in my book.
Always good to find your fitness motivation. Cross Country and Track races are mine, but soon it will be marathons!
I actually refer to this list myself when I’m in the snacking mood. (Is that conceited?)
Thanks for reading! I am excited for all the new recipes I can’t wait to try and workouts I can’t wait to share. Make it a great Monday :)
Today my inbox held a lovely surprise from the blogger behind Mommy Go Run: A nomination for the Liebster Award! I first learned about blogger awards last month when I was nominated for the Blog On Fire award, and the rules for the Liebster are pretty similar.
Liebster means ‘dearest’ or ‘favorite’ in German, and the rules for accepting the nomination are:
1. Post 11 things about yourself
2. Answer 11 questions the person giving the award has set for you
3. Create 11 questions for the people you are giving the award to
4. Choose 11 people to award, telling them in a post.
Easy and Fun enough!
11 Facts about Me:
2. I live in the mountains and love being surrounded by nature so much. The best trails and views and weather
3. My favorite drink from Starbuck’s is the Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte :)
4. I rescued my maltese Missy from the animal shelter that I volunteered at my junior year of high school and while sometimes she’s a spaz, she’s pretty darn cute.
5. I failed my driving test the first time, when the DMV lady had to pull the emergency break – I think she was having a bad day.
6. I HATE scary movies. and Spiders. (does that count as 2 facts?)
7. I love my family!
9. Through out elementary school, I wanted to be a teacher, a fashion designer, a writer, a film producer, and probably 7 other things.
10. My middle name starts with an A. (Go ahead, guess! It’s not Ann…)
11. I <3 being healthy & that’s why I’ve created this blog. Thank you for reading, it makes it totally worth while. :)
My 11 Questions to Answer from Mommy Go Run:
1. “What is your favorite way to spend a Friday night?” With friends! Dressing up, going out, maybe to a concert. No one looks back on their life and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep!
2. “Do have a special recipe passed down from your grandmother?” My mom’s mom had a special banana bread recipe that we used for years, until I accidently deleted the file on my mom’s computer. I still feel so guilty about that.
3. “Are you paying attention to the election this year?” Not to sound like an ignorant citizen but I do not have a TV and don’t regularly read up on political topics.
4. “Water Park or Amusement Park?” WATER PARK. I freak out at huge roller coasters!
5. “Fancy hotel or camping?” Such a toughie! Can “Glamping” be an answer? I <3 both.
6. “Tennis Shoes or Dress Shoes?” Tennies, so I can run.
7. “What is your ideal career?” Since I study Marketing, I would like to work on a marketing campaign for some brand like Nike. But in an ideal world, I would own my own bakery and cafe. : )
8. “Where is your dream vacation?” Again with the difficult questions! I’ll go with a tour de Europe.
9. “Movies on the couch or in the theater?” On the couch: the Pause button.
10. “Death Row Last Meal would be?” Well since I wouldn’t have to worry about getting fat, an ice cream sundae with extra cookie dough, hot fudge and almonds.
11. “What is the one thing you could do to make the world a nicer place?” Wow, getting deep here! I suppose offering a more sympathetic and optimistic attitude to everyone I meet. :)
My 11 Questions:
1. How do you like your coffee?
2. What’s your favorite thing to blog about?
3. Do you prefer to go out for dinner or cook your own meal?
4. What is your favorite Disney movie?
5. Where is the last vacation you took?
6. Favorite guilty-pleasure TV show?
7. Thoughts on Crocs (the shoes):
8. Do you watch or play any sports?
9. Sweet or Savory snacks?
10. Are you a spender or a saver?
11. Where was the best burger you ever had?
And FINALLY, I nominate:
Whew, and that completes the Liebster award post. :)
Some encouraging news appeared in my notifications earlier this week. Fellow blogger Cookie Talk had nominated Strong Like My Coffee for the “Blog on Fire” award. Being new to the blogosphere, I hadn’t heard of this award. I have now learned that it is a semi-informal chain of “nominations” from one blogger to the next with the following rules for acceptance: in a post, list 8 things about yourself, then nominate 8 other blogs for the award (continuing the chain).
So of course I will nominate 8 other blogs! I love reading other people’s posts so much, just choosing 8 was the difficult part. In no particular order:
- Sugar and Spice
- Fit Girl. Happy Girl.
- Run, Sweat, and Sparkle
- Beauty Still Remains
- Fructose Free Me
- Edible Balance
- Fitness, Food and Photography
- Sweet Little Thang
(Can you tell I tend to follow health/food blogs??)
And now 8 things about myself…..
- Admittedly, I am addicted to peanut butter. I literally eat some of the nutty creamy bliss in a jar almost every day. By itself, with a spoon. All kinds – creamy, crunchy, natural, processed…It’s irresistible!
- Gilmore Girls was and always will be my favorite TV show. I’ve watched every episode at least 3 times, it just doesn’t get old. I like to think my mom and I have a Rory/Lorelei relationship : )
- I used to have a pet iguana named Holly.
- I’ve become a bit obsessed with Pinterest, frequently losing track of time after scrolling through pages of recipes and workouts.
- From ages 3 to 14, I was in ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical and even hip hop dance classes; I was also on my high school dance team. I really wish I would have continued dancing and performing.
- My favorite Luna Bar flavor is Blueberry Bliss!
- Never left the country, don’t even have a passport, but I plan on traveling after college!
- My day has not begun until I’ve had my coffee.
Now you know a little more about me. And I can’t wait to share a really fantastic recipe with you tomorrow!