AMAZING Strawberry Banana Oat “Cookies”
Posted by Stronglikemycoffee
One of my best friends, Bre, came over yesterday for the afternoon. We did what we do best: bake! I love making anything from scratch, especially when I can alter the recipe to reduce fat, sodium, sugar and/or calories. Yesterday we tried something new, an experiment, and it turned out fantastic! Strawberry Banana Oat Cookies. These “cookies” are vegan and do not require flour, sugar, butter or oil. That’s why I call them “cookies” with quotes – because while they look and taste like a chewy oatmeal cookie, they are so healthy it’s unbelievable.
These are like a cross between a granola bar, oatmeal cookies and banana bread. For a little variety, we added mini chocolate chips and coconut to some of the batches! I was a little skeptical of how these would turn out. I thought for sure they would be lacking a little flavor due to the absense of sugar and butter but I was proven wrong! There is plenty of sweetness from the bananas, applesauce, and vanilla. (We added honey but you really don’t need it.)
(Note that however you place the dough on the baking sheet is the shape and size they will come out. There is no baking powder, baking soda, or flour to help them rise and flatten out.) It was a PERFECT summer dessert to enjoy right out of the oven with a cup of coffee. My favorite was the coconut! And the strawberries had just the right amount of tartness to make them so flavorful. These would be a great breakfast on the go as well – you get your oats and fruit and almonds! You have to try these, I guarantee it will be a hit :)
(Vegan) Strawberry Banana Oat “Cookies”
1/2 cup Almond slivers
1/2 cup Applesauce
3 very ripe bananas, smashed
1 Tbs Honey
2 cups Rolled Oats
1 heaping Tbs Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Vanilla
10 Strawberries, diced
1/4 cup Coconut flakes
1/4 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine smashed bananas, applesauce, oats, almonds, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well blended.
3. Add the diced strawberries into the batter and mix. Add in coconut flakes and chocolate chips.
4. Drop by the spoonful on to the baking sheet (I recommend flattening them a little.) Bake for 18 minutes; transfer to cooling rack.
5. Enjoy these guilt-free cookies with fresh coffee (this step is very important.)
I would love to hear what suggestions YOU have to add in instead of chocolate chips and coconut :)