As maker of the list, I am reserving the right to call “Mulligan” and swap out one item on the list for a new one.
When I originally put “Jump in a pool with all my clothes on”, I was basing it off of a very specific wedding venue my friends were getting married at in August. The reception area has a full pool with a water slide and little cove area where the DJ would set up. I’d seen photos from other weddings where the entire wedding party ended the night by jumping into the pool and I thought it looked like so much fun! I thought we’d take advantage of the water feature and take a plunge in our heels our dresses.
However I learned later that because there were kids in attendance, a lifeguard was required to be on site if anyone was to use the pool. Otherwise the bride and groom risked their security deposit. I totally understand, but I struggled to find a plan b for this particular bucket list item. There was a rooftop pool at our Arizona hotel, but it ended up being only 3 feet deep and pretty crowded with people so I nixxed that option as well.
Now that it’s winter in Idaho, when most people here don’t have pools anyways, I’m beginning to see this task as a set-up for failure so I’m swapping it out with another feat I accomplished this year.
I read THIRTY books in 2022, the year before I turn thirty!
Here they are, in order that I read them. I’ll also give them my own rating:
- The Hunting Wives, by May Cobb (6.5 out of 10)
- The Book Charmer, by Karen Hawkins (7 out of 10)
- The Art of Making Memories, by Meik Wiking (7.5 out of 10)
- It Ends With Us, by Colleen Hoover (8 out of 10)
- Love Lists, and Fancy Ships by Sarah Grunder Ruiz (10 out of 10)
- The Vaccine Book, Robert Sears (non-fiction, no rating)
- Love Your Life, by Sophie Kinsella (I honestly cannot remember one thing from this book. ? out of 10)
- Becoming Babywise, by Robert Bucknam (so vague. 3 out of 10)
- The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern (6 out of 10)
- Pasta Wars, by Elisa Lorello (9 out of 10)
- Moms on Call Newborn to 6 Months (10 out of 10)
- The Golden Couple, by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen (8 out of 10)
- The Last Time I Lied, by Riley Sager (8 out of 10)
- The Therapist, by B.A. Paris (10 out of 10)
- Book Lovers, by Emily Henry (8.5 out of 10)
- Moms on Call 6 months to 18 months (10 out of 10)
- The It Girl, by Ruth Ware (10 out of 10)
- It Happened One Summer, by Tessa Bailey (7 out of 10)
- The Perfect Marriage, by Jeneva Rose (Did NOT expect the ending twist.10 out of 10)
- What Matters Most, by Chanel Reynolds (non-fiction, no rating)
- Reminders of Him, by Colleen Hoover (10 out of 10)
- Verity, by Colleen Hoover (disturbing. But still a 10 out of 10)
- Anxious People, by Fredrik Backman (SO ANNOYING. Could barely finish. 2 out of 10)
- It Starts With Us, by Colleen Hoover (The sequel that did not need to exist. 3 out of 10)
- Back in the Burbs, by Avery Flynn (7 out of 10)
- Love Story, by Erich Segal (8 out of 10)
- To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee (10 out of 10)
- Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes (10 out of 10)
- In Five Years, by Rebecca Serle (The only book I finished in 1 day. 10 out of 10)
- When Stars Collide, by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (4 out of 10)
I’m really proud of this reading list for this year! I found out how much less free time I had with baby, and I was able to still maintain my book club with local friends and try out new genres that are typically outside of my comfort zone! This was more time consuming than jumping into a swimming pool with formalwear on, but also less chilly ;)
Speaking of chilly, I just dropped off a batch of books at my local “Little Free Library.” Do you have one of these where you live? We have THREE of them in our neighborhood, all within a half mile radius of our house. I love it! I have scored some good books and then replaced them with some of my own in return.
Since my 29th year started with Sarah Grunder Ruiz’s book Love, Lists and Fancy Ships, I’ve decided that I will start my 30th year with her most recent release – Luck & Last Resorts – and I’m really excited to start it after my birthday!