Super Bowl Sunday: Sweet Potato Skewers with Honey Ginger Glaze
It’s finally February! So many events are packed into this little 28-day month, including that one special holiday we all look forward to each February……obviously I’m talking about Groundhog’s Day. I mean, there’s Valentine’s Day, the Super Bowl, and my birthday thrown in there too. But today a fuzzy little rodent will crawl out of the ground. Will he see his shadow? Won’t he see his shadow? The suspense is killing me!
However if you are not as enthused by this springtime phenomenon, maybe football is more of your forte. You might be a Ravens fan. You could be a 49ers fan. I personally am a sweet potato fan. I can get in the hype of the game but honestly, my favorite parts are the commercials and the snacks. Of course I have a healthy Super Bowl Snack for you and of course it involves sweet potatoes, basically one of my Top 5 favorite foods. Stick sweet potato bites on on a skewer with a sweet n’ tangy Asian sauce? GOLDEN.
Starting with the glaze. Really simple, only 3 ingredients mixed together:
- Cut 3 (washed and peeled) medium sweet potatoes into roughly 1-inch cubes.
- Toss in a bowl with 1 tbs olive oil to coat.
- Using bamboo skewers, slide the sweet potato wedges on like a kabob. (My bamboo Skewers came in a pack of 80. I foresee a few more “skewer” recipes in the future!)
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet; drizzle the Honey Ginger Glaze over the skewers, turning them to get all sides.
- Bake in the oven at 425 for 40 minutes; rotate the skewers half way through. *Makes 6-8 skewers, depending on potato size
These would definitely be a healthy change from buffalo wings or sodium-packed potato chips. Not saying you should totally skip out on the festivities and snacks, but any chance to bring something healthy to the table should be a welcomed change : )
Funny story. Because I compete for a collegiate sports team, we are restricted from betting on any NCAA-sanctioned sport, including the Super Bowl. We even got a friendly email reminding us to refrain from any and all bets on the big game. Guess I won’t be wagering any of these sweet potato snacks tomorrow ;)
Are you hosting a Super Bowl Party & Which team are you rooting for?