Crab-Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
If you are experiencing the extreme-cold weather as I am, you will appreciate these spicy Jalapeno Poppers! And by “extreme cold,” I don’t mean the 55 degree weather that Southern Californians are in a tizzy about….. I’m talking negative degrees, bitter chill, freeze-your-face-off extreme cold.
So for a temporary escape from the reality of winter weather, here’s some hot n’ spicy appetizers:
We made these as a fun appetizer, and if you don’t remove all of the seeds and membranes, your mouth will be on fire! These little poppers are “healthified” by substituting whole grain cracker crumbs and Greek yogurt.
Crab-Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers:
- 12 Medium Jalapeno Peppers or Small Sweet Peppers
- 12 ounces Crab Meat
- 2/3 Cup Plain Fat-Free Greek Yogurt
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Green Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon Spicy Mustard
- 1/2 cup Whole Grain Ritz Cracker crumbs
- 1 Tbs melted butter
- 1 Tbs parsley, chopped
- Wash and cut jalapeno peppers in half, length wise. Scrape out seeds and membranes to reduce the heat, and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, combine crab meat, greek yogurt, egg yolk, green onions, mustard (plus and salt and pepper to your liking). Pour in 1/2 of the cracker crumbs.
- Spoon the crab mixture into the Jalapeno “boats” and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining cracker crumbs and parsley into the melted butter. Spoon this crumb topping over the Jalapeno Peppers.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and crispy.
I hope you are staying warm! It’s mornings like these when I appreciate my coffee the most ;)