Category Archives: Breakfast
The name of this healthy recipe requires a little explanation.
My dad has a talent for taking random ingredients in the kitchen and throwing them together for an amazing dinner. He’s not really a recipe-follower. Before he married my mom, he had the stereotypical bachelor pad and one of his easy dinner go-to’s became dubbed the “Bachelor Stir Fry.”
Basically he would take leftover ingredients or random vegetables in the fridge (bell peppers, onions, etc.), dice up some russet potatoes, and mix in some type of meat and cook them all together in a frying pan. Sometimes he included eggs, making a breakfast hash. There is no real recipe, nothing specific, so every time came out a little differently.
Last night I cooked dinner for my dad and I, and came up with my own variation of his classic dish. A few healthy swaps here and there, and BAM – we have Bachelorette stir Fry.
My obsession with sweet potatoes has only grown stronger in the past five years, so I swapped out the russet potatoes for some orange yams. I also included Sprout’s Apple Chicken Sausage, along with yellow zucchinis, yellow and red bell peppers, onion, garlic, spices and my personal secret ingredient ;)
Okay okay I’ll share my secret – I added maple syrup! Just a table spoon so it didn’t overpower anything. I could subtly taste it on the sweet potatoes and it was delicious. This recipe is a lot sweeter than my dad’s usual mix, but I personally loved it and everyone went back for seconds. That always makes a girl feel good! :)
We topped our bowl with some avocado since it was lacking any green color. We could’ve also easily swapped in a green zucchini or a green bell pepper. Dishes like this are very flexible.
Bachelorette Stir Fry (Sweet Potato Hash)
- 1.5 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 bell peppers, your choice of color
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 6oz. chicken sausage (I used French Apple Chicken from Sprouts)
- 2 medium yams
- 1 Tbs. black pepper
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- generous pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbs. maple syrup (try to use the real stuff, not Aunt Jemimah.)
- Optional avocado for garnish
- In a small skillet, cook the chicken sausages until browned. Let cool, then slice into 1/2″ thick circles. Set aside.
- Dice onion, bell peppers and zucchinis. Peel sweet potatoes and dice.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil. Add garlic for 30 seconds. Add in diced onion, bell pepper, zucchini and sweet potatoes. Stir to combine. Add in pepper, salt, and paprika. Cover with a lid on medium-low for 15 minutes until everything is very soft.
- Add in the chicken sausage and maple syrup. Stir to combine. Keep heat on low for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with avocado, ketchup, hot sauce, or whatever your favorite topping is. :)
Earlier this week, I re-joined the world of snapchat. (@kenzalyse) I thought it would be a fun way to share my relocation journey without bombarding Instagram and I felt like I was missing out on some of my friends’ fun stories :) so far the filters are my favorite part.
This morning I have a meeting with a realtor, a cycling class, and an iced coffee date. See you here next week! Xoxo.
We have a big bad birthday celebration in the house…..
Strong Like My Coffee turns 2 years old today.
My blog is a toddler!
Despite what you’ve heard about those Terrible Two’s I think exciting things are in store ;)
Anniversary…Birthday…whatever you want to call it….we need a cake! Because, I say so. (Who made the rules?!)
Last year, SLMC’s first birthday brought you this “healthified” Raspberry Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake. In keeping with my coffee cake theme, I searched for something equally cute. I adapted Chocolate Covered Katies “1 minute coffee cake in a mug” with a recipe down below :)
The blog statistics:
- In the past 365 days….
- 77 blog posts
- 278 pictures
- 14,562 cups of coffee
Stats on this recipe:
- Healthy (low-sugar, low-fat, portion controlled)
- Convenient (microwavable!)
- Quick (5 min. tops)
- Adorable (it’s a cake in a mug, c’mon!)
- Coffee-themed (how appropriate.)
And that is as statistical as it gets around here :)
- Combine the following:
- 3 Tbs. flour of choice
- 1 Tbs. water
- 1 Tbs. coffee
- 2 tsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbs. Stevia (or sugar)
- tiny pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- Spoon 2/3 of the mixture into a mug (I recommend lightly spraying with cooking oil first.)
- Combine the following in a separate dish:
- 1/2 Tbs. cinnamon
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar (or stevia)
- 1 Tbs. pecan pieces
- 1 Tsp. applesauce
- Spoon half of the cinnamon mixture over cake mixture.
- Add remaining layer of cake batter.
- Add remaining layer of cinnamon.
- Microwave for 1 minute 15 seconds. Increase by 10 seconds if needed.
Bring on a brand new year of coffee, celebrations, cake, hanging out on New York rooftops and many more mornings of blogging :)
And if you are on Instagram, I just joined your world. You can follow along @stronglikemycoffee if you’re into that sorta thing :) I’m looking for good fitspo accounts to follow too!
As of last night at 5:15pm, we are in official Spring Break Mode.
The next 9 days are consumed with adventures and my very best friends. SO – I’m limiting my “plugged-in” time.
Not much happening on the blog while I go make some memories but I’ll try to share some pictures & some recaps when I can :)
Off to explore!